Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review: Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Overall this was a fabulous read. A pleasant surprise from the usual paranormals out there, and Nalini Singh even manged to make angels an acceptable category of hunk.

Well paced, well written and an unique and interesting world parallel to ours, but with some major differences, is where book one of Singh's new series takes place.

I've really enjoyed her other Psy-Changeling series, so I was more than willing to give her new world a try.

This is a world with Vampires, Angels, Archangels and "Hunters" that hunt the rouge vampires at the behests of the angels.

Elena is our main character, she is the prototypical "spunky" alpha-female. Sometimes she was a bit too spunky for me. When faced with an archangel that most of the city fears sometimes reticence is the better part of valor. And mouthing off to an immortal is not the brightest thing to do.

Raphael, the Archangel, is suitably hunky, arrogant and typically alpha-male. Yet, Singh manages to make him human enough that we can like and empathize with him anyway. I quite like Raphael. He is protective of his people, merciful yet equally harsh.

Together they make quite a pair while they hunt down a rogue archangel set to take out New York City. Although I had some issues with the characterization of both our characters, I felt the romance between our two leads was a bit strained at time- less of a romance and more lust - but I think that books 2 and 3 of the series should expand that relationship adequately.

I won't give away any of the plot, as it was fast paced and quite interesting, but suffice it to say I really enjoyed this book. A solid, solid entry into the paranormal market, and I can't wait to start reading the second one!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment