Monday, May 2, 2011

Vegetable Garden!

So, last week I started my vegetable garden, and this will make it the second year I've planted one.

You may think it's a wee bit early to plant things, and you would be right - depending on what you're planting! Some veggies (carrots, beets, kale, onions, garlic and a few others) should be planted 2-3 weeks before the final frost date for your area (you can find out what it is here), even though most plants should be started indoors at this time and then transplanted outside in mid-May.

I have onions, shallots, garlic, carrots and beets already planted- so here's hoping they flourish and grow!
In mid-May I'll be planting my tomatoes, peas, beans, zucchini and cucumbers, as well as a planter full of herbs!

I don't use any pesticides or herbicides in my garden, but when I do have issues with bugs or grubs I mix up some "fire water" for the garden!
All you need is: Water, natural liquid dish soap (no phosphates), garlic, and chilies. Blend it all together and spray on the plants. The garlic and the chili works to keep most pests and bothersome bugs away.

Also, planting basil, lavender, marigolds and garlic in your garden will also help with pest control.

And don't forget to help our lovely pollinating bees by planting local flowering plants. I'll be planting Thyme and letting it flower to help the bees out!


The parsley I planted last year was growing already!

No comments:

Post a Comment